Local marketing targets the nearby neighborhood and community around your place of business. Small businesses especially benefit from using marketing techniques that target the local market. There are many different strategies that can be used to hone in on your target audience.
Examples of these strategies include:
1. Claim your listings on Google My Business page, Facebook, Foursquare, Yahoo Local.
2. Tag locations and geographic areas in social posts. Utilize hashtags. Add keywords, city/neighborhood name to social posts too.
3. Include local keywords such as city, streets, neighborhood names in your blogs and articles.
4. Optimize your site for mobile use.
5. Seek out reviews/testimonials for your business. Encourage customers to review your business online on various platforms including Google, Yelp, and Facebook.
6. Use Facebook and social media to promote your content to your target audience.
7. Use photos of your location in your social media posts. You want to tie together your physical business and what it looks like, where its located to your online presence so that consumers will connect the two together.
8. Create seasonal content. Along with the major holidays, promote other observances that tie in with your business. For example, if you sell ice cream cones, ice cream sandwiches, hand scooped ice cream then promote National Ice Cream Day (which is July 18, 2021) or if you own a bakery and sell pie, then align yourself with National Pie Day (January 23, 2022). There are tons of holidays, observances, and awareness days that can be tied into your marketing plan.
9. Make sure your website is optimized for local search. Check on your site structure and make sure that your business information is correct and relevant.
10. Create local content on your website. Write about local events or happenings in and around your businesses’ geographic area
11. Consider micro-targeting where you are targeting consumers within a limited range (such as a mile or two)
How About Some Relationship Building?
While technology, SEO, and using social media to market your business are all great tools, don’t forget the “people side”. You also need to build a sense of community. Make your business visible and build community recognition through sponsorships of sporting teams, having a booth at a local fair, volunteer with a non-profit, join a chamber or rotary, or even partnering up with a nearby business for some cross marketing. When you join an organization such as a chamber or rotary be sure to participate in committees and take on leadership roles.
Interacting and engaging as a business owner within your community will raise awareness about your business. Developing these types of community relationships will be invaluable for long term support.
How can local marketing benefit your company?
1. You build relationships with nearby businesses which can help with future promotions
2. You drive more local customers to your site
3. You reach more locals who may not have been aware of your business
4. You establish branding for people to recognize your business
5. You will be competitive with those businesses who may have been in the community much longer
6. You will build consumer loyalty within your community
Local SEO and marketing are important especially for small businesses. Strategic Online Marketing can help you build a successful marketing strategy. To help grow your business and reach more people in your local area, please call us at 407-341-0582. We look forward to helping your business gain more customers.